From Debt to Freedom
Ah, the American dream…
Hi, we’re Jeremy and Sandy. Has your American dream turned into a nightmare? Do you now dream of travel, but work and debt keep holding you back? We understand completely! We married young and fell into the world’s version of normal: one kid, daycare, own a home, have multiple cars, deal with constant home and vehicle maintenance, yard work, healthcare, must maintain a dual household income to pay for it all, saving for retirement, all while still in debt up to our eyeballs.
Our house was falling apart, we went through vehicles like candy, savings was a foreign term to us, our emergency fund was our credit card, and we constantly felt like we were drowning. It was always one step forward, two steps backward. We were spending all of our time and energy on work instead of living life to the fullest and being outside enjoying God’s creation. We failed miserably at trying to fit in with society and failure has never tasted so sweet. God is orchestrating our steps and we are now simplifying so that we can live the life that WE DREAM!
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. (Romans 12:2, NKJV)
Breaking Debt’s Hold
So how did we break free? Well, we’re still in the process, but we’re glad you’re along for the ride.
- Step 1: Get out of debt- check. Well, all but the house… We paid off about $30,000 in credit card debt and car loans in about eighteen months. The most important piece of advice we can give you is to make a budget and stick to it! Living beyond our means was so customary, that we really had to change our mindset to stop spending what we didn’t have. Once we were on the same page, we started with the smallest balances and worked our way up to the largest.
- Step 2: Get out of the rat race- check. We downsized in house, moved out to the country, started homeschooling our son, got some chickens, and started our own business. We went from living on the outskirts of a small city, to about 45 minutes away from everyone we knew. We stopped trying to keep up with the neighborhood elite and started following the path that God laid out for us.
- Step 3: Sell everything possible and live as simply as possible- we’re still on this step. We’ve accumulated so much stuff that it’s hard to even know where to begin. The sentimental items are going to be the toughest to get rid of. Maybe I can hide a box at a relatives house! 🙂 In my opinion, living simply is much easier in the country for numerous reasons: no neighbors = pj’s and no makeup, less of an obligation for social gatherings, and restaurants aren’t as accessible.
- Step 4: Get mobile. There are multiple options for mobile income. We want to build our business to the point that we can work on it, rather than in it. When that happens, we can break the final chain holding us down. But…we’re also very impatient and are entertaining the idea of selling the business as well and figuring out an additional remote income possibility.
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:19-21, NKJV)
Our New Reality
We love the outdoors and our goal is to be living in freedom by traveling full-time in about three years. We’re in the process of converting an ex-ambulance into our dream home. Yep, I said dream home! We went from a home that was ~1,500 square feet down to ~1,100 square feet and we’re now working on a ~104 square foot home! If it doesn’t fit in the ambulance, we’re getting rid of it. We’ve learned that the more space you have, the more things you accumulate. This will give us the freedom to go where we want, hike/kayak/camp where we want, and stay for as long as we want. Freedom looks so sweet!
But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint. (Isaiah, 40:31)
If you’d like to see how our ambulance camper conversion is coming along, check out the following posts:
- Ambulance Camper Conversion – Phase 1
- Ambulance Camper Conversion – Phase 2 – 6 Inch Lift
- Ambulance Camper Conversion – Phase 3 – Interior Planning
Thanks for Reading!!!
We couldn’t be more excited about this step in our journey! Thank you so much for reading and we hope you’ll join us in our future adventures!
Check out our YouTube videos (coming soon)/FaceBook/and Instagram for updates on our current projects & trips.